Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Avengers #1 Review

THE AVENGERS #1
by Johnathan Hickman and Jerome Opena

The Avengers #1 is ambitious, epic, and the start of a new direction for the series. But is it good?

As I just said, Avengers #1 is massive in scope. The book begins with the creation of the universe, continuing to the present. Hickman took a gamble with the new status quo for the book and I think it works. He nails the voices of the individual characters and writes a great fight scene in the middle. However, my high expectations weren't completely met. I thought his handling of Iron Man was not sarcastic or funny enough, and the villain needs a more original master plan. 

Jerome Opena's art looks beautiful. It makes the book visually unique among the other books on the shelf. Opena's art is essentially a combination of Philip Tan and Alex Ross' style. However, I thought the colors were a tad too dark in some parts. 

The Avengers #1 isn't a complete home run, though I think it came  pretty darn close.

STORY: 4/5
ART: 4/5
VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment