Saturday, December 1, 2012

Talon #2 Review

TALON #2
by Scott Snyder, James Tynion and Juan Jose Ryp

Here we are, already at the second issue of Talon. Does this measure up to the first two issues at all? Or is this the issue that clips this series wing's from my (secondary) pull list?

I'm not sure how well this series will fare in the future. This issue has diminished my interest in picking up issue 3 quite a bit. Why? BECAUSE NOTHING HAPPENS. It's incredibly disappointing to see Calvin do nothing except blow up a hotel room, and then leave. Calvin doesn't have a distinct voice. There is nothing unique about his dialogue, which could be read as Nightwing without humor. However, I was interested in the cliffhanger, which reintroduces a character from the opening arc of All-Star Western in a very interesting way. 

On the other side of the creative team spectrum, how does Juan Jose Ryp's fill-in art work? Fantastically. It's hard to believe Ryp is just a fill-in for Guillem March, because his art is incredibly detailed. On second thought,  it's hard to believe that he's  a fill-in artist. His work looks so energetic and frantic, especially in one splash panel of an explosion (if you read it, you know what I'm talking about). 

Talon #2 is an OK book. I might or might not pick up the  next issue if I have any change from my usual pull list next month... Though I doubt it. 

STORY: 2/5
ART: 4/5
VERDICT: 3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment