Saturday, January 19, 2013

Top 5: Most Shocking Events of 2012

2012 was a pretty big year for comics. Yeah, I know, you're all tired of suffering through Best of 2012 lists. So instead, I'll just do this: Most Shocking Events of 2012! And I'm not going to include Amazing Spider-Man #700. Because it sucks. 

5. Millar Delivers Two Issues on Time

I've been into comics for quite some time, but I only got into monthly issues in 2011. So, when Supercrooks #1 and #2 came out on time, a lot of my friends were shocked. Millar may be one hell of a writer, but he's a slow one as well. I checked what his past shipping schedules have been like, and it is pretty surprising.

4. "Hi, my name's Gwendolyn."
From Saga #8 
by Brian Vaughn and Fiona Staples

When Gwendolyn was first mentioned, I thought she would just be some background character whose presence in the series would go beyond a mere mention. I was wrong. I thought this situation would be a bit like Rick's brother in The Walking Dead, but when she showed up at the end of Saga #8, I was pretty darned shocked.

3. The GCPD Gets High on KRAK
from Batman #13
by Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo and Jock

Heh heh. Krak. Anyway, I thought this was one of the scariest moments I've ever read in a comic. As the Joker knocked out the lights of the GCPD building and snapped the necks of every-freaking-one, readers could just hear the KRAK going off in their heads. Terrifying.

2. The Knight Gets High on KRAK
from Batman Incorporated #6
by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham

I'm sorry, that pun just keeps coming back to me. Anyways, this was one of the most tragic deaths in comics ever. The Knight has always been an underrated character, and a personal favorite of mine. This was just as bad as watching Peter Parker get blown up in Ultimate Spider-Man #160. (See Slott, this is how you do a good death!) Beryl's reaction was gut-wrenching and tragic, and at least Knight died doing something heroic (SLOTT...)

1.  "M-m-m-- MAGGIE!"
from The Walking Dead  #100
by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard

"Heh. Lucille is a vampire bat."

This has got to be one of the most well done deaths in media. I don't think this scene will make  it to TV, but when one of my friends read this, he actually dropped his copy of the book out of shock. Glenn is supposed to be one of the most relatable characters in the show, and he was as fan-favorite as you could possibly get. As he got beaten to death by Negan, I winced each time Lucille hit Glenn's face, eventually turning him into the head smoothie pictured here. I can't get away without mentioning Charlie Adlard. I don't know what kind of pictures he looked at for reference in this scene, and I don't want to know. This was THE most shocking scene of 2012.






No comments:

Post a Comment