Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Justice League Dark #15 Review

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #15
by Jeff Lemire, Ray Fawkes and Mikel Janin

The most devastating loss of the last arc: Ryan Sook's covers.

Jeff Lemire is joined by Ray Fawkes as co-writer in this issue. The series benefits from this, as the characters seem wittier and more themselves, and the stakes feel higher. I'm still a bit skeptical of the new setting for the series, but so far, it feels very weird, perfect for the characters. The writing has improved thanks to Ray Fawkes (Zatanna is pretty awesome here), though I have a few small bones to pick. I felt Constantine was out of character, when he admitted that he cared for the others. Usually, Lemire writes a great Constantine. I also felt Hunter's importance wasn't emphasized enough. Quick note: I literally dropped the book and fell down laughing when Deadman screamed, "I'm alive!" and was promptly shot in the head in the next panel. I love the lighter tone Lemire and Fawkes are taking the series. Issue 15 captures the essence of the fun that made me fall in love with this book 6 issues ago (not including the zero issue).

Mikel Janin's art looks so much smoother thanks to a new colorist, Jeremy Cox. He dumps the grainy colors of the last few issues, in exchange for brighter and more straight forward coloring. It gives the book a clean and energetic look that I'm loving.

JLD #15 is a real winner. Though I found a few flaws in the writing, it barely dampened the enjoyment I got from this issue. 

STORY: 4/5
ART: 5/5
VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment