Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I, Vampire #15 Review (Or, COME BACK ANDREA SORRENTINO)

I, VAMPIRE #15
by Joshua Hale Fiakov and Dennis Calero

Diamond Comics lied! I feel like Oliver Twist talking to Andrea Sorrentino, begging him to draw one more issue. "Please, may I have another?"

Joshua Hale Fiakov nails this issue. The assault on Castle Van Helsing is some of the most fun you'll have this week. It's bloody, nasty, and hilarious. Meanwhile, Troughton, Deborah and Mary's own search for Andrew leads them into contact with the first vampire: Cain. Now, most things are right with the world here: The character work, the plot, etc, I felt something was missing here. I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the art...

Dennis Calero is no Andrea Sorrentino. He does his  best to try to imitate his style, only to become a slightly sloppy and poor "homage". Yes, it looks good, and it's better than Paul Pelletier's  Ivan Reis impression, but it's just not Sorrentino. Calero doesn't get the creepy shadow feel, but who am I kidding? I just wish Scott Clark would start drawing this book sooner...

I want to give this book a higher rating than I'm giving it. I really do. Sadly, this issue is pulled down by the fact that Andrea Sorrentino is gone. Much of the charm is lost. Yes, Joshua Hale Fiakov is still giving us a story that kicks about 101 kinds of ass, and then some, but without the art, the plot sinks a bit as well.

STORY: 4/5
ART: 3/5 (for effort)
VERDICT: 3.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment