Friday, January 25, 2013

The Avengers #3 Review

THE AVENGERS #3
by Johnathan Hickman and Jerome Opena

The Avengers #3 is surprisingly... READ ON TO FIND OUT!
As I closed my copy of Avengers #3, I found myself surprisingly underwhelmed. Whatever happened to the smart and thought-provoking Avengers we had for the last two issues? For one thing, the Avengers seemed a little bit out of character when they let Ex Nihilo continue to live on Mars. And the entire revelation of the god-like being hidden among the Avengers' extended ranks came out of nowhere, and killed the momentum of the final battle. I am pretty sure Hickman is just setting up future plot points, but I really didn't enjoy this issue too much. I wish the arc was extended for another issue or two. I felt Ex Nihilo's motivations weren't explored enough. On the up side, Hickman's dialogue is strong. 

Jerome  Opena's art is gorgeous. I love the Lenil Yu look he's going for, but I don't think it really meshes with the tone of the book. 

The Avengers #3 is a letdown. I wasn't satisfied with it, and I know the creative team can do much better than this. Sorry guys.

STORY: 2/5
+Good dialogue
-Out of character Avengers
-Anti-climatic final battle
-Villain not explored deeply enough

ART:4/5
+Looks beatiful
-Doesn't match the feel of the book

VERDICT: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment