Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Batman: The Dark Knight #15 Review

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #15
by Gregg Hurwitz and David Finch

You're going to hear Kevin Conoroy in your head while reading this.

Batman: The Dark Knight. I've been reading this book secretly, just flipping through each chapter at my local Barnes and Nobles. However, I kind of picked this up by accident, when I found this in my Pull List pile at my usual comic shop. "Accidentally" slipping a "recommendation" into my purchases? Oh  well. I read it either way, and I thought it was actually pretty cool. It was fun, action-packed, and the character work was good. That's as far as I go with "good". The story was ridiculously cliched. Batman nearly dies saving the city from Scarecrow's visions, blah blah blah, and... What's Alfred doing there? Isn't he supposed to be the Joker's hostage? And blind? However, the biggest problem I had with the book was the ending. Oh. My. God. That. Was. So.

"Unexpected."

Seriously, Hurwitz chose to end the arc with the guards dragging Scarecrow back to Arkham, and it turns out he's suffering from his own fear gas in his cell... OK, let's count which other Batman stories that's been used, shall we? Batman: Arkham Asylum (the game). Tony Daniel's Detective Comics. Endless episodes of B:TAS. (I could go on.) I'm sorry, I just thought there could be something like Scarecrow pulling out a small vial of fear gas, Batman visiting Scarecrow, or even Robin beating him up with a crowbar. I guess it's just me, but it was kind of annoying. Also, I thought the way Batman cured the city was an extreme case of deus ex machina.

David Finch's art is something to marvel. I oogled each and every panel. Finch makes every panel look incredibly badass. His work on the splash where Batman is gassing the city with the antidote: Bravo. However, I noticed a few continuity issues, especially those involving Robin's eyes.

Batman: The Dark Knight #15 was a fun way to end David Finch's run on the series. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad.

STORY: 2/5
ART: 4/5
VERDICT: 3/5



No comments:

Post a Comment