Friday, January 18, 2013

Saga #9 Review

SAGA #9
by Brian Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Nice to see Lying Cat act more like a cat. 

Saga #9 just might one of the best issues of this series yet. This is one of the most light-hearted chapters of Saga so far, so you are 100% guaranteed to have fun with this issue. Most reviewers have complained about lack of new reader accessibility, but I don't really mind. If you don't understand the series because you have just jumped on, buy the trade. You're doing yourself a big favor. The book shifts focus from Marko and Alana's side of the story to jump over to the Will and Gwendolyn's side of the story. I think I know where the series is going next, but I'm not sure. The book has toyed with my expectations a lot so far, so I'm not going to take points off for that. So far, I'm loving the Will and Gwendolyn's new partnership. Plus, we discover a little (awesome) secret about the Slave Girl from issue 4, and leads to an intriguing cliffhanger. 

Fiona Staples. FIONA STAPLES. One of the best freaking artists in the business right now. Her art style is so unique that I can't think of a single other artist I can compare her to. Seriously.

So far, Saga has earned all 5/5 reviews from me, and issue 9 doesn't end the trend. Brian Vaughn and Fiona Staples  are the hottest creative duo since Morrison and Quitely. 

STORY: 5/5
ART: 5/5
VERDICT: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment