Friday, February 15, 2013

Uncanny X-Men #1 Review

UNCANNY X-MEN #1
by Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo

So, here we are. Months after the god-awful AVX, comes Uncanny X-Men. But is it any better than the event that screwed so many readers over? 

Uncanny X-Men #1 starts a little bit after Cyclops has been sprung from prison. First, I want to get one thing out of the way: Cyclops's new costume looks !@#$ing stupid. OK, so Uncanny X-Men #1 did NOT live up to my expectations. It's nowhere near as bad as Bendis's Avengers run, but it's not as good as Ultimate Spider-Man. It's somewhere in between. I don't like the idea of the team instantly falling apart like this, but would rather see the UXM get built  up. Cyclops is written very well. but I don't like Bendis's handling of Magneto, as he does some very uncharacteristic things. (C'mon, you're a murderer to Magnus!) I see where Bendis is trying to go, but I'm not sure if it works... yet. I'll give this series a few more issues to find its footing, but so far, things are looking up.

Chris Bachalo delivers some awesome art. It doesn't feel muddled or crammed like early issues of Wolverine and the X-Men, but it's still as detailed as Ultimate War. Bachalo's art is absolutely crucial to the story, as it perfectly fits with the atmosphere of the script. I did have a few problems with the art: I can't tell Magick and Emma Frost apart. The two look way too damn familiar, and if it weren't for Emma's skin being diamond for the entire book, I wouldn't be able to tell the two apart. Also, Cyclops's stupid costume redesign. 

Uncanny X-Men #1 isn't the home run I was hoping it would be, but it didn't suck either. Let's hope the series will get better in the weeks to come (Come on, just release issue two next month! You're murdering my wallet in cold blood, Marvel!).

STORY: 3/5
+ Good characterization of Cyclops
+ Much better than his god-awful Avengers run
- Magneto is an out-of-character hypocrite

ART: 4/5
+ Not muddled or crammed. Very easy to follow
+ Does a great job with the Sentinel fight
 - Emma Frost and Magick look too similar
- Cyclops's costume looks like something Lady Gaga would wear 

VERDICT: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment