Friday, February 8, 2013

Detective Comics #17 Review

DETECTIVE COMICS #17
by John Layman, Jason Fabok and Andy Clarke

My thoughts when I read the first three pages of the book: "OK, I'm pretty sure that doctor guy is the Merrymaker." Guess what. I  told you so.

Yeah, uh, spoiler alert. This is the worst issue of Layman's DC yet. I absolutely hated the mystery he made here, mainly because of its boring conclusion. The resolution is so predictable, I spoiled it without warning you people! Yeah, I feel so badass. Anyways, Layman's character work isn't as strong as it was for the past couple of issues, and there are a few plot holes. The Emperor Penguin storyline doesn't progress, which made this issue quite a yawn. However, I'll still give it points for dealing with Death of the Family in a unique way.

The one saving grace of the main story is Jason Fabok's art. Though it's not as smooth as it was in #13, it still looked great.

The backup story is the main attraction. It serves as a nice character study of the Merrymaker, who is portrayed as sort of, Joker's parallel in more ways than one, but also as a dedicated copy. Andy Clark's art looks just as good too.

Detective Comics #17 was a major bummer. I was looking forward to a more gripping mystery story instead of an obvious bit of filler.

STORY: 2/5
+ Unique way of dealing with DOTF
- A mystery even a 2-year old could solve
- Plot holes
- Some characters... Out of character.

ART: 3.5/5
+ Looks great
- Not as smooth as usual

BACKUP: 4.5/5
+ Interesting character study
+ Good art

VERDICT: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment