Friday, February 1, 2013

I, Vampire #16 Review

I, VAMPIRE #16
by Joshua Hale Fiakov and Scott Clark

Andrew Bennett is a dog? I thought he was a wolf.

I, Vampire #16 is a major improvement from #15 in both, the story and art departments. Fiakov makes Constantine an important character to the book's cast, and manages to lighten things up a bit. The goals of Andrew Bennett's raid on the Van Helsing castle are still a bit unclear, but I was too entranced with the rest of the story to care. Fiakov does annoyingly jump back and forth between the intense scenes in the present, and Cain's origin in ancient Egypt. Besides that, great character work, a harrowing plot, and friggin' Constantine!

Now, the art is a massive step up from last month, with Scott Clark coming in to replace Dennis Calero. Now, I like how Clark is trying to make the book his own instead of imitating Andrea Sorrentino, so props to him for that. Despite all of this, I have one major gripe: Why the hell does the art style change with each page? One page, it's dark and sketchy, the next, it's bright with thick inks! And the next, an entirely DIFFERENT artist is drawing it! I was really bugged by this, and it could really take me out of the story at times.

I, Vampire #16 is very good. It's not great, but it's an obvious improvement from issue 15.

STORY: 4.5/5
+ Constantine!
+ Good character work
+ Plot's getting intense
- Cain has a dumb origin story 
- Why did they attack Castle Van Helsing?

ART: 3.5/5
+ Looks beautiful
- Stick with one artist, please!

VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment