Saturday, February 9, 2013

Animal Man #17 Review

ANIMAL MAN #17
by Jeff Lemire, Scott Snyder, Steve Pugh and Timothy Green

Animal Man and Swamp Thing together at last... Again.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing kick some rotten ass! This issue was breathtaking. As I read it, I got the same feeling I got during the Dark Knight Rises, during the big fight scene between the GCPD and Bane's henchmen. I just wanted to do a fist pump. I wanted to high-five Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder. This is the better half of the Rotworld finale. Everything I love about Animal Man was crammed into this issue. It seemed like all hope was lost after the last issue, but it just proved everyone can kick butt. And the way Buddy dealed with the Flash... Yuck. A lot of cool stuff happens in this issue, like the Bat-Bot just annihilating the Rot, and Frankenstein getting a Green Lantern ring (that's right, Frank joined the GLC!). I like how Buddy and Alec interact here, but I wish that there relationship reflected the actual connection between the Green and Red. 

Steve Pugh and Timothy Green finish up Rotworld with their best work yet. Pugh and Green do a great job with the final battle, as !@#$ goes down. However, the transition between artists is bad as usual. 

Animal Man #17 is one of my favorite issues of Animal Man yet. It serves as a reminder as to why Animal Man was my favorite series of 2012 in the first place.

STORY: 4.5/5
+ FRANKENSTEIN IS A GREEN LANTERN!
+ Breathtaking final battle
- Animal Man and Swamp Thing could have had a more interesting relationship

ART: 4/5
+ Steve Pugh and Timothy Green's best work yet
- Transition between artists is jarring

VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment