Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Secret Service #6 Review

THE SECRET SERVICE #6
by Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons

$10 says that Vaughn never gets to adapting these storyboards-- Er, I mean, comics.

"Mate, I've been playing James Bond ever since before you were born." When I read that line, and noticed who was saying it, I practically dropped my comic, and starting laughing my ass  off. The finale to the Secret Service is a fun, gun-filled and explosive ending to one of Millar's better creator-owned works. Millar writes this with the quality of a movie script. The are a lot of awesome parodies of the spy genre, but this book managed to be a serious full-blown secret agent drama while still poking fun at the movies. It's nice to see British Kick-Ass-- I mean, Gary finally kick ass (oh, the irony) and get his revenge on Doctor Arnold. However, it seems like the big death from the last issue barely had any effect on Gary. Seeing at how close this person was to him, you'd think that he'd at least mourn this death for a few more panels than he actually did. But that was the only gripe I have! I mean, just watching his spy training come to fruition where he pulls a Black Orchid-like switcharoo (read JLD #9 and the annual to get the reference) and watching the laser pen knife do it's stuff is truly satisfying.

Dave Gibbon's art has improved a LOT. He brings a lot of explosions and detail to the action scenes, and draws in a LOT of cameos in the big fight in the end. The gruesome laser-pen-knife kill couldn't be as hilarious and gut-wrenching as it is without Gibbons drawing it. Plus, I see he's resolved his facial expression crisis from the last few issues.

STORY: 4/5
+ Awesome deconstruction of the spy genre
+ BROSNAN!
+ Gary is now a certified ass-kicker
- Dude, why aren't you that sad about [REDACTED]

ART: 5/5
+ Vastly improved
+ Explosive action scenes
+ A lot of cameos in the end
+ 3 words. LASER. PEN. KNIFE.

VERDICT: 4.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment