Saturday, April 6, 2013

Action Comics #19 Review

ACTION COMICS #19
by Andy Diggle and Tony Daniel

"This looks like a job for... Superman!"

When I saw Superman say that, my inner 5 year old squealed, but the real me (grumpy, logical, and kind of a douchebag) facepalmed. 

I have VERY mixed feelings towards this issue. While I did think that Andy Diggle tried his best to make a good Superman story and I loved the classic Man of Steel feel, something about the book was off. I'm not sure whether Action Comics is still set in the past like Morrison's AC, or if it's set around the same time of Lobdell's (horrible) Superman. I also think the Jimmy Olsen plot didn't get that much attention, despite being the subject of the fold-out cover. However, Diggle wrote a fantastic action scene, and the scene with Luthor and the psychiatrist was downright villainous. 

Tony Daniel is made for action scenes. He brings an uncontrollable energy to the entire book, and kicks a lot of ass. I especially love the way he draws Luthor, as a menacing snake-like son-of-a-bitch, who will kill you if you're standing in his way. The only thing I don't like about Daniel's art is the fact that  some of his characters look exactly the same. (I mean, look at Clark and then Bruce in Detective)

Action Comics #19 is sort of a triumph. It was a very fun issue, despite it's flaws. Pick it up if you're a Superman fan looking for a good time.

STORY: 3.5/5
+ A blast to read
+ Very Superman-like
- Jimmy Olsen as a villain gets little attention
- Something feels... off.
- Classic can sometimes feel cheesy

ART: 3.5/5
+ Suited for action
+ Luthor is like a bald Willem Dafoe
- Jim Lee snydrome

VERDICT: 3.5/5 



No comments:

Post a Comment