Saturday, April 27, 2013

I, Vampire #19 Review

I, VAMPIRE #19
by Joshua Hale Fiakov, Fernando Blanco and Andrea Sorrentino

I, Vampire #19 is the bittersweet farewell to one of my favorite series in the New 52. However, is it a GOOD farewell?

I, Vampire #19 could have benefited from being a $3.99 book, or being an issue longer. While we do get enough time to bid our favorite characters goodbye, including the ever so-awesome Tig (who deserves her own series), a few threads are left hanging. I also hated the way that Cain went out, as his death scene (oops, spoilers) felt rushed and anti-climatic. Besides those, I, Vampire #19 was a book that was painful (in a good way!) to read. Knowing that I there isn't going to be a #20 seriously bugged me throughout the issue, but it also heightened my expectations. As usual, Fiakov's script puts emphasis on the humor and the characters, as he gives us some of Andrew, Mary, and even Charles's best moments in the series. A few of my favorite parts of #19 were the flashbacks to Andrew and Mary's life in the 18th century, and I've got to say, the last page was an excellent way for the series to go out. When I hit the last page, "How You Like Me Now?" by The Heavy started blaring in my head, as if an imaginary end credits was playing. It's amazing what a good ending can do for a book.

The art duties of the issue is divided between Fernando Blanco and Andrea Sorrentino. As you would expect, Sorrentino steals the show. Now, the jarring transition between the two artists actually HELPS the book, as the different moods of the flashbacks and the main story (respectively) separate each other. Blanco's art would be right at home in an old issue of Tales of the Crypt, and Sorrentino works wonders with the horror. Best of all, Sorrentino draws the awesome last page mentioned earlier.

I, Vampire #19 isn't a perfect ending to this amazing series, but it's still a pretty damn good one. 

STORY: 4/5
+ Good farewells to many characters
+ Lots of action
+ DAT ENDING!
- Cain went out like a !@#$%

ART: 4/5
+ SORRENTINO'S BACK!
+ Transition between artists helps the story
+ Very Tales of the Crypt like style from Blanco
- Blanco does not live up to Sorrentino

VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment