Friday, March 15, 2013

Wolverine #1 Review

WOLVERINE #1
by Paul Cornell and Alan Davis

This is not the best book about the best there at what he does.

Paul Cornell... Tsk tsk tsk. I had such high hopes for you. With your spectacular work on Stormwatch, I hoped you could make this a good Wolverine book. But alas, I set my expectations way too high. You know, I thought we had reserved the mindless action book feel for Savage Wolverine. I don't think there's enough room for two when it comes to tour de forces like this. I also felt Wolverine felt a little bit out of character towards the beginning (I mean, why did he look so scared?). I also prefer my books to have a little bit more plot. However, this book does do some things well. I thought Cornell gave us an interesting setup, and it was pretty fun to read.

Alan Davis's art feels like classic Wolverine. He feels like the big brute we're all used to. Yet, many of Davis's facial expressions look contorted, and strange.

Wolverine #1 disappoints, but not on a massive scale. In terms of Wolverine books, I recommend Savage Wolverine over this, as that book at least has better looking art. 

STORY: 2/5
+ Interesting setup
- I'd like a bit more plot, if you don't mind
- Wolverine is slightly off

ART: 3/5
+ CLASSIC WOLVIE! SNIKT!
- Why do some faces look so weird?

VERDICT: 2.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment