Friday, March 1, 2013

I, Vampire #17 Review

I, VAMPIRE #17
by Joshua Hale Fiakov and Fernando Blanco

"Andrew Bennett. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Yup, the climax of I, Vampire has finally arrived. The penultimate issue. Where a bunch of characters get killed off, and Tig makes a "The Princess Bride" reference. Fiakov grounds all of his characters in reality, despite their supernatural powers. Also, I did not see the massive death that happened in the end. I really like Andrew Bennett as a villain, which makes him a much more interesting character. 

Fernando Blanco is an excellent replacement for Andrea Sorrentino. For once, an artist that emulates Sorrentino, yet somehow making the book his own. He still manipulates the shadows, while making it a bit easier to read. However, it doesn't have that unique ting that made Sorrentino's art so great.

I, Vampire #17 is finally a great issue after Andrea Sorrentino's departure. It was just amazing.

STORY: 5/5
+ Andrew Bennett is better as a jerk
+ Realistic characters
+ "You killed my father. Prepare to die."

ART: 4/5
+ Feels like Sorrentino
+ Blanco still makes it his own
- Doesn't have the unique ting that Sorrentino has

VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment