Saturday, October 13, 2012

Uncanny Avengers #1 Review

UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 
by Rick Remender and John Cassaday

Gasp, Thor likes lattes? 

Don't get me wrong. Uncanny Avengers isn't a bad comic book. Heck, it's actually really good. The issue primarily focuses on two action sequences, and the emotional fallout after Professor X's death. I enjoyed the two action scenes quite a bit (I'll discuss them more later), but the emotional scenes of the 6 main characters couldn't elicit a single reaction out of me. Why? The rules of comic books state: "Every character that has died will come back to life eventually." The death of a key character is now a cliche. Xavier isn't dead. In my mind, his character is simply absent for about a year or two. Besides that, Rick Remender has a good grip on his characters, and creates some pretty disturbing scenes. 

Meanwhile: John Cassaday is rocking the hell out of this issue. Cassaday DESERVES to be drawing Marvel: Now's flagship title. He has the kinetic energy of Jim Lee, an eye for detail nearly as refined as Frank Quitely's, and the artistic equal of Ethan van Sciever. Cassaday delivers, mainly because his style seems like it can fit every scene in the book. From the aforementioned creepy moments (Two words: BRAIN SURGERY.) to the action sequences, Cassaday has the ability to adapt to every different tone Remender throws  at him. 

Uncanny Avengers is a good read, but it's another frustrating cash grab. Seriously, almost HALF of the book is made up of ads. Thankfully, the story is awesome to make up for the ad dump.

STORY: 4/5
ART: 4/5
VERDICT: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Love your thoughts on Charles. I on the other hand think he will not come back. Time will tell!If he does come back I will be seriously annoyed. I have put too much emotion into his death. haha. I am glad you liked the book but I am not too convinced, as my review shows. Will pick it up next month though probably (maybe).

    ReplyDelete