Friday, May 24, 2013

Uncanny X-Men #6 Review

UNCANNY X-MEN #6
by Brian Michael Bendis and Frazer Irving

Magneto carries nails around as a makeshift weapon... Why didn't I think of that?

When I read this issue of UXM, I found myself in shock at how good it was. That's not to say the series sucked before this but... This kicked some serious ass! Bendis has perfectly balanced the humor and the dark tone of the book (about the same tone of the Avengers film) making this a very fun book. He nails the many distinct voices of the characters, and to be honest, he's actually made Emma Frost TOLERABLE. I'll  admit, I didn't like the aspect of Dormammu as an X-Men villain, but Bendis makes it work. My only problem, is that the Dazzler thing seems to be a random development in the plot, and kind of out of place.

Marvel, can you please just keep Frazer Irving on this book? For like, forever? Irving's art is chaotic, funny, beautiful, sometimes all three at once, and it's a perfect reminder as to why he's one of my favorite artists in the biz. While it is a bit flat, he makes the 2D feel work for his advantage, giving his art a very epic feel.

With issue 6, Uncanny X-Men has found its groove. And it's groove is awesome.

STORY: 4/5
+ Makes the funny/dark tone work perfectly
+ Great dialogue
+ Makes Emma Frost tolerable
+ Awesome action
- The Dazzler thing's kind of weird

ART: 5/5
+ Chaotic, and awesome
+ Feels epic

VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment