Thursday, May 16, 2013

Supergirl #20 Review

SUPERGIRL #20
by Michael Alan Nelson and Mahmud Asrar

Supergirl vs Glados? Oh god, yes.

Supergirl #20 marks Michael Alan Nelson's first issue on the title, and I'm really impressed. First of all, I'm sure I'm not the only one who imagined Sanctuary with an Ellen McLain voice. C'mon you guys, who else did that? Raise your hands. OK, I'm a little confused as to how Supergirl and Power Girl are best friends, but that's really the only flaw I found with the writing. Both characters are written beautifully, and it's hard not liking either of them. Also, Sanctuary is a hilarious new villain, who genuinely had me chuckling at least twice through the book. I mean, politely asking Kara to kill herself is pure Glados behavior their, and it works perfectly. Now, I've only read the first 7 issues of Supergirl, and this works as a great springboard into series. I was able to jump in without feeling confused.

Mahmud Asrar's artwork suits the story perfectly. It's dark when it needs to be, and funny when it needs to be. It feels a lot like Rafael Albuquerque's American Vampire work. He draws Supergirl beautifully without going into cheesecake territory, and his rendering of the Kryptonian architecture looks awe-inspiring. The colors don't hurt things either. 

Supergirl #20 is a sleeper hit. I'm surprised Michael Alan Nelson's first issue didn't get more coverage from DC, because this ain't bad at all.

STORY: 4/5
+ Great character work
+ Sanctuary is a hilarious villain
+ Very intriguing
+ Perfect jumping on point
- Why are Supergirl and Power Girl suddenly just teaming up?

ART: 5/5
+ Suits the story
+ Always matches the tone
+ Good looking colors
+ Nice rendition of Krptonian technology

VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment