Sunday, May 19, 2013

Red Hood and the Outlaws #20 Review


RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #20
by James Tynion and Julius Gopez

Due to it being a light week, I decided to give Tynion and Gopez one more chance of putting Red Hood on my pull list. Did they succeed? Or is it worse without Lobdell?

So, Red Hood and the Outlaws #20 picks up precisely where #19 left off: With Jason's mind wiped clean of his memories. Now, Tynion just CANNOT write Jason. But surprisingly, he writes Roy and Kori so well, to the point where Tynion would be my first choice of a writer if either of them got their own series. Now, Jason's actions are just ridiculously out of character, and even his dialogue in the flashbacks suck. But the biggest sin the book commits, is the tone. I hated the happy-go-lucky tone of Lobdell's run, and it does NOT work for Todd and his band of bros. And Starfire. However, Tynion despite its slow pace, this issue does have a considerably larger amount of ups than the last. For one thing, I will give Tynion credit for making it fun. It was a blast to read, even with its major flaws. And I can tell he's building up towards bigger things.

I do NOT like Julius Gopez's art. At all. Everyone looks like either Vin Diesel, or  a Mad Magazine caricature. As with last month, the colors here are drop dead gorgeous, and it's a shame that a better artist isn't putting it to better use. Also, some of the action seems stiff. But there is a panel that I just love towards the end. It's a graceful and straight up beautiful panel of a foot simply connecting with someone's face at 60 miles per hour. 

Red Hood and the Outlaws #20 is a fun read, albeit flawed and with some awkward art.

STORY: 3.5/5
+ Starfire and Arsenal are very well written
+ Despite my gripes with the tone, Tynion does his best to make the book fun
+ He's building towards bigger things
- I hate his writing of Todd
- The light tone is not for me

ART: 2.5/5
+ The one panel almost redeemed all of the atrocities in the world
+ The colors are some of the best, almost Eisner worthy
- Everything else

VERDICT: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment