Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nightwing #20 Review

NIGHTWING #20
by Kyle Higgins and Brett Booth

Anyone notice the reverse-fan service  going on in this series? I mean, there are a ridiculous amount of shots of Nightwing's ass. 

Nightwing #20 continues the series recent trend of getting better with each issue. Kyle Higgins has set up a pretty complex mystery, and has introduced a fun little villain named the Prankster who's all kinds of kick-ass. Higgins nails Dick's voice, and  does a better job of establishing his new supporting cast. I'm curious to see where the Tony Zucco plot goes, and one of my favorite things about the book is how a simple change in locale can shake up the series so much.
Brett Booth's art is much improved here. While I'm still not a fan of Booth's style, I must admit it's getting better. And even though I don't like his drawings, I have to admit, it looks like he's having a blast drawing this. I noticed a few coloring errors, like Zucco's hair going blond in one shot, and then back to black in another, but they're pretty minor. 

If Nightwing continues to get better, I think DC could have it's answer to Marvel's Daredevil in just a few months. It's THAT good.

STORY: 5/5
+ Higgins does a much better job with his supporting cast
+ He nails the dialogue
+ Surprisingly layered plot
+ The Prankster makes for a great villain

ART: 3.5/5
 + Booth has fun drawing Nightwing
+ Very energetic
- Personally not a fan of the style
- Some small coloring mistakes

VERDICT: I hate giving out these scores that are off of my 10-point scale, but...
4.25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment