Friday, May 10, 2013

Suicide Squad #20 Review

SUICIDE SQUAD #20
by Ales Kot and Patrick Zircher

DC, y u no give us a solo King Shark series???

OK, Suicide Squad #20 is a creative team change that truly does justice to these characters. While the issue is mostly devoted to seeing the team spend their downtime, there is a LOT of blood. My favorite scene was when Unknown Soldier just went Eli Roth from Inglorious Basterds on Voltiac. Yeah. Awesome. Also, King Shark is portrayed as a sympathetic character here, which I think really works for him. Something I noticed: It seems like Kot essentially gives Harley a Deadpool characterization, and surprisingly, it clicks. However, the thing I LOVED about the issue, was the ending that really caught me off guard. My jaw actually dropped when I figured out who the mystery character was, and believe, you people won't be disappointed. Kot infuses a lot of Secret Six morbid humor and I love it.

Patrick Zircher's art style reminds me of a cross between Ivan Reis and Cliff Richards, and works for the issue. It matches the tone, and he does a great job with the bloodier scenes. My only gripe is that he makes some characters, like Deadshot and Voltiac, look very similar. In other words, he has first stage Jim Lee Syndrome. 

I hate Ales Kot for forcing me to add another book to my pull list. This is a very dark issue, but it's also one of the best books I've read this week.

STORY: 5/5
+ YES! A DECENT SUICIDE SQUAD STORY!
+ Harley Quinn=Deadpool=Awesome
+ I did not see the twist coming
+ King Shark is awesome.
+ Unknown Soldier IS Eli Roth

ART: 4/5
+ Does a great job with the bloody scenes
+ Matches the story's tone
- Jim Lee Syndrome

VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment