Friday, November 16, 2012

Fantastic Four #1 Review

FANTASTIC FOUR #1
by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley

The lovable kick-ass blue eyed Thing is back! With those other 3 that you don't care about.

Matt Fraction did a splendid job. This issue is mainly dedicated to introducing the four main characters  (and their children). Fraction has a firm grip on all of the main characters, especially Reed and Ben. I had one very micro sized problem though: Marvel NOW! is supposed to get new readers into comics, and  F4 #1 is kind of not accessible. As a new F4 reader, I thought that it was annoying that they didn't give the Future Foundation a solid introduction, and was thrown right into the middle of it all. I wish Fraction could have explained the FF's purpose, but I could overlook that.

Whether you like  Mark Bagley's art or not, you can't deny the energy he brings to the table with this first issue. The colors and the art seem to pop right off of the page, and he captures emotions very well. However, he has a very annoying tendency to make some of his characters look the same. I had a hard time distinguishing Johnny Storm from Ben Franklin. 

F4 #1 is a great #1 issue, despite the few gripes I had with it. This is a very light week for me, so if it's the same for you, I suggest that you buy this. 

STORY: 4/5
ART: 3/5
VERDICT: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment