Saturday, July 6, 2013

Trinity of Sin: Pandora #1 Review

TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA #1
by Ray Fawkes, Daniel Sempere and Patrick Zircher

I think the cover for Pandora #1 is one of the coolest pieces of art Ryan Sook has ever done, along side the cover to DC Universe Presents #6 and Justice League Dark #4. 

So, Pandora #1 is a prelude to Trinity War, and we still don't know that much about it. This issue isn't concerned with setting up the DC's big summer event, but more telling us Pandora's origin story. Pandora  is made a very sympathetic character, but Fawkes hasn't completely given us a reason to root for her. Yet. But she is absolutely badass, and capable of carrying her own series. I also got to give Fawkes credit for telling a story that stretches from 300 BC all the way to the present day. It feels odd that I'm praising Fawkes, because in my opinion, he sort of ruined Justice League Dark. 

Speaking of creators I'm not fond of doing good work, I never thought I'd say any good things about Daniel Sempere and Vincent Cifuentes. You know the phrase, "Two negatives make a positive"? That's pretty apparent here. Sempere and Cifuentes make  some marvelous art, and if I didn't know it was them, I'd swear it was Ethan van Sciever. Patrick Zircher cranks out some good art here, but his darker painted style does not make for a transition from Sempere's lighter comic book style. 

Pandora #1 defied all of my expectations, as 2 creators I do not like have made an awesome book. I'm interested in seeing where this book goes. 

STORY: 4/5
+ Pandora makes for a compelling protagonist
+ Huge, epic story
+ Vandal Savage!
- No legitimate reason to root for the Lady in Red yet

ART: 4/5
+ Sempere and Cifuentes make good art!
+ Patrick Zircher's style looks great
- The transition between the two artists isn't the smoothest

VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment