Monday, July 22, 2013

Justice League of America #6 Review

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #6
by Geoff Johns, Jeff Lemire and Doug Manhke

The relationship between Aquaman and his trident is like that of a walrus and his bucket.

Jeff Lemire comes on board as the co-writer of JLA, and uh... Can he stay on board? Like, forever? JLA continues Trinity War, and I got to say, Trinity War just might be one of my favorite crossovers in a while. First off, it delivers on the promise of a summer event, with bombastic action, and also, it gives us a good and surprisingly emotional comic! Yep, you read that right, Justice League of America #6 is an emotional comic. The characterization is great, and there's even an ounce of humor thrown in, and we get to see how the JLD will be thrown in to the mix. Best of all, it's not just a hero-vs-hero yawnfest like AVX was (ha ha, suck it Marvel), and there's ACTUALLY A STORY. One of my favorite parts of the issue was the ending (I won't spoil it), which caused me to do a fist pump, and it got me looking forward to Justice League Dark #22. 

Now, for the event, the art is a step down, but for JLA as a series, it's a major step up. I was delighted to hear that Brett Booth was off the series, but Doug Manhke faced the uphill battle of matching Ivan Reis. Now, I'm sure Mikel Janin can be just as good as Reis (granted that Vincent Cifuentes is staying away from it), but Manhke's art has been incredibly inconsistent lately. He deals with 5 inkers in the issue, and it gives the story a very odd feel. However, he delivers on the action scenes, and I the way he draws a lot of the JLA. And, (my biggest problem with Booth), HIS ART ACTUALLY MATCHES THE TONE OF THE SERIES.

Trinity War just might turn out to be one of my favorite books this year if it keeps getting better like this. With good writing, and art that's more decent that Brett Booth's art, what more could I ask for?

STORY: 5/5
+ Very intriguing
+ Enough action for a summer blockbuster, but they don't spend the entire issue punching each other!
+ Great emotional scenes
+ DA MOTHER!@#$ING QUESTION!

ART: 4/5
+ Great on the action scenes
+ Matches the tone
+ Better fit for the series than Brett Booth
- Fails to live up to Ivan Reis
- Unbelievably inconsistent

VERDICT: 4.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment