Monday, July 1, 2013

Trade Review: The Avengers Vol. 1: Avengers World Review

THE AVENGERS VOL. 1: AVENGERS WORLD 
by Johnathan Hickman, Jerome Opena and Adam Kubert

So, I have been giving Hickman's Avengers a lot of crap, but I was told it reads much better as a trade. So I was able to read a copy... And here's what I think.

So, Avengers World is a storyline that basically pits the Avengers against a villain named Ex Nihilo, and then there are 3 issues of character origins. Now, the Avengers does read differently as a trade, and in this case, different means better. A LOT better. The opening story arc feels more coherent and makes more sense, and the origin issues don't feel like they're just killing time. One of the concepts (among a lot of interesting concepts) Hickman introduces, are opening the Avengers up to a larger group of heroes. This works very well, as we get introduced to a lot of layered characters, such as Smasher and Captain Universe. Ex Nihilo is a very complex villain, considering he's not exactly a villain. I can't think of a single time I've seen someone like Nihilo to be honest, and that is quite an accomplishment. And then, we come to the character origin stories. Let me get this clear. I STILL HATE ISSUE 4 WITH A BURNING PASSION. If you search through the site long enough, you'll find my review of Avengers #4, and I think it holds the lowest score I've ever given. There's a reason I hate that issue, but I'll let you read my review of it, and find out for yourself. With #5 and #6, Hickman actually tells some surprisingly heartwarming origins for Smasher, and a tragic and completely unexpected one for Captain Universe. Hickman is very good at writing characters, though his writing of Iron Man and Spider-Woman feel a little off. The biggest problem is the book is the slow and trodding pace. While putting in the origin issues in a trade does help matters a lot, as it doesn't feel like Hickman is trying to kill time as much, I'd still rather have 3 more issues of story, and then a special with the origins. 

Jerome Opena is one of my new favorite artists. I wouldn't put up there with Quitely or Cloonan, I would definitely compare his art (quality wise) with someone like Sorrentino, Jae Lee, or Francesco Francavilla. He's like Esad Ribic, if he didn't have the occasional unintentionally creepy facial expressions. And then, there's Adam Kubert. Issue 4 still looks like $#!@, but surprisingly, #5 and #6 actually look pretty good. His art doesn't look rushed in them, and he helps lend some emotional weight.

The Marvel NOW relaunch of the Avengers does work better as a trade than single issues. The problem, is the slow pace at which Hickman is telling the story. He's setting up some big things, so I'd recommend giving this a try. HOWEVER, Marvel always overprices their trades. This trade contains 6 $2.99 length books, (but they charged $3.99 per issue), and it's $24.99, so I'd recommend picking it up on Amazon if it's cheaper there. Don't buy this for more than $16.99. 

STORY: 4/5
+ Very interesting concepts and set ups
+ Great opening arc
+ Ex Nihilo is a complex villain
+ (For the most part), the origin stories are very touching
- Slow pace
- Some characters aren't themselves
- Issue 4 still sucks

ART: 4/5
+ Jerome  Opena's art is awesome
+ Adam Kubert's art improves by a margin with #5
- Issue 4 still sucks

VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment