Friday, September 14, 2012

TEAM 7 #0 REVIEW

TEAM 7 #0
by Justin Jordan and Jesus Merino

Team 7 #0. This was the only new series of DC's Third Wave I was truly anticipating. I would have LOVED to see Grifter, Deathstroke, and Black Canary all on the same team together. That, paired with the fact this was going to be a huge action book made me excited for this. Sadly, I placed my hopes way too high.
 
In the foreseeable future, if the book gets more exciting, this could be DC's very own Expendables. But for now, it's more of just... Some guys with guns in a book that happens to take place in the DCU. Jordan doesn't differentiate the many characters of the book much. Each of them are all stereotypical action heroes, with Grifter being the jerk who's always getting into fights, Deathstroke, the "I can't get close to anyone because bad things happen to them"/bad past guy, Black Canary, a character who doesn't even seem to have a personality cut out for her yet, and many others. The plot of the book doesn't fare well either. It's just John Lynch getting the team together to combat the growing metahuman presence in the DCU. Yeah. However, I commend Jordan (or whatever editorial interference caused this) by mentioning Brother Eye from OMAC and (what I think) is a reference to SHADE. This shows DC's growing concern in connecting each of their different series in a way I don't think any other shared universe has before.
 
Jesus Merino's art goes for a 90's Jim Lee or Dan Jurgens style, and for the most part, I think it works. Merino is responsible for all the explosions, gunshots, and action, and does a spectacular job. My only complaint is that sometimes, he really seems to try to get a 90's style, to the point where his work just doesn't look as detailed as it was earlier in the book.
 
Overall, I can't recommend Team 7 #0. It has it's shining moments with art, but the story doesn't even play like a good parody of 80's action movies. It actually succumbs to the cliches without realizing it, and the art sometimes falters a little bit. Don't pick up this book.
 
STORY: 1/5
ART: 3/5
VERDICT: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment