Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Marvel Rant: 4 Reasons I Don't Like Marvel Books That Much

There is a reason I don't read many MARVEL books. Some just annoying nitpicks, some really big personal issues. So, I'll spare you the excruciating torture of listing everything, so I'll just put down 4.

1: Shameless Overpricing
MARVEL shamelessly overprices many of their books, putting down a big scam for many of their books. I'll be comparing Marvel to DC (where a majority of the books I read come from) a lot, and this is one aspect where DC gets right. Not only does Marvel seem to amp up the price for books that don't seem to need it (I mean, Amazing Spider-Man alone!), but even reducing the actual number of pages that are comics! That's just a low blow right there!
2: Bad Accesibility
When I hitched on the weekly comic issues band wagon, I found that Daredevil #1 was out just a few weeks ago, and picked it up. I loved how accesible it was for me.Then, I ended up picking up Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1, which was even MORE reader friendly (though, I followed the Ultimate Spider-Man trades from my local library before weekly issues). Then, I decided to give the world of X-Men and the Avengers a try. That's where this particular quibble comes from. I made the horrible choice of jumping into Wolverine and the X-Men at the worst time possible, and I was totally confused. Hoping I would have better luck with Bendis's Avengers (I went into this with even higher expectations, as Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 was so accesible), but it was even WORSE. However, I will give them this: Their miniseries (the Millar books especially) are the exceptions. Even with Daredevil (after issue 5, I dropped it due to budgetary issues), when I jumped on with issue 17, the recap page was ALL I needed to jump back on board.

3: Events, Events, Events OH FREAKING MY!
Apparently, Marvel feels the need to not only drag out their events as much as possible, but to milk them for more than they are worth! I will admit, that DC did make that mistake with Flashpoint, but Marvel has made that mistake for the past few years, with Shadowland, Fear Itself, and currently Avengers vs X-Men. I mean, who wants to read a $3.99 book that has no story, and just fights for it (and that's just AVX: VS!)? Does it really have to stretch for 12 $3.99 issues?

4: Marvel NOW!
Marvel NOW! has decided to completely copy DC: The New 52. Well, almost completely. Instead of completely making MARVEL new-reader accesible, they decided just to knock down a few of their titles to #1, switch up some creative teams, and hope they can measure up. I think this was doomed from the start. Besides, I will commend them for trying to get back at DC when Aquaman topped all of the Marvel titles for six months (:D). However, just as one quick, quick nitpick, I must note this excerpt from this review here:  "I would argue that DC’s 52 was really just a tremendous marketing campaign.". Quesada, you devilish beast, insulting DC's success.

No comments:

Post a Comment