Saturday, September 29, 2012

I, Vampire #0 Review

I, VAMPIRE #0
by Joshua Hale Fiakov and Andrea Sorrentino

Last month's I, Vampire  was a thing of beauty. Though the art was way too shadowy, it was still a spectacular comic book. I,  Vampire #0 switches gears after last month's MASSIVE game changing ending, as we learn Andrew Bennett's origin.

Fiakov continues to have a good handle on his characters. While Andrew's origin isn't anything that reinvents the wheel, Fiakov  still makes this a fun read. His dialogue style changes here to follow suit with the setting change, with a Victorian style instead of his usual modern style, full of pop culture jokes. One  small quibble: As with many of the other #0 issues, this issue is just filler. Fiakov does not utilize this space to progress this story or provide further insight into what happened. And that's a major bummer, because according to the December solicits,  Cain is the only one who can help Andrew, and I wish this issue showed why.

Sorrentino's art is freaking creepy. The brutal chase scene through the woods absolutely REQUIRED Sorrentino's style, and his unique method of shadowing doesn't bother me anymore  now that I am used to it.

If you don't mind this being filler, I, Vampire #0 is an entertaining read, despite not reaching its full potential.
STORY: 4/5
ART: 4/5
VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment