Friday, August 2, 2013

Animal Man Annual #2 Review

ANIMAL MAN ANNUAL #2
by Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman

Just when you thought Animal Man couldn't get anymore heartbreaking, the series goes all Clannad: After Story on us. Yeah. 

Animal Man Annual #2 is mostly a flashback to the day Maxine was born, Buddy's fondest memory of Cliff, ironically. The present day scenes take place before the gross events of Animal Man #21, so I'll cut to the chase. Animal Man Annual #2 kicks ass. The flashback story is a very touching, and sometimes, even funny and lighthearted. It hearkens back to the days of Morrison's run. Buddy and Ellen's banter over the phone was a highlight of the issue, along with the creepy and memorable villain (I want to see more of the Spider Queen!), and a very different, and much more likable Cliff.  During the present day scenes, you can feel Buddy's despair. The pacing of the issue is very good, and I love it when annuals tell standalone stories like this.

You won't believe how happy I am right now. Because mother!@#$ing Travel Foreman, that's why. Foreman is one of the best artists right now, and I NEED him to draw more stuff. I heard a rumor that he'll be joining Swamp Thing in November, and that would be the best thing in the world. Foreman's simplistic style just 
has a charm to it that only a few artists have nowadays (All of which are artists that rock, like Becky Cloonan, Chris Burnham or Ben Oliver). It's minimalistic, and there are a lot of people that are not going to fly with it, but I love the creepy vibe it has.

Animal Man Annual #2 is my favorite comic of the week. Animal Man is a series that doesn't get enough love. While it's not in danger of being cancelled, it's just that it doesn't receive as much praise as it deserves. Animal Man Annual #2 is the kind of issue that makes you see the potential of comics. This is an issue I'm going to be keeping on my shelf for a long time.

STORY: 5/5
+ Incredibly sad, but lightens up when it has to
+ The Spider Queen
+ I've missed you, Krenshaw
+ Reminiscent of Morrison's run
+ A horror movie feel

ART: 5/5
+ Simple but powerful
+ Creepy as !@#$

VERDICT: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment