Sunday, August 26, 2012

Reviews: 8/22/12

Hey everyone, sorry about the absence of a video this week, I kind of got caught up on schoolwork. BUT, I'm uploading my reviews for the week today, and we have some pretty awesome books on the stand!








 

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #12
by Jeff Lemire and Mikel Janin
 
I'm surprised Mr. Lemire! You've successfully made 20 pages feel like 10! After last month's cliffhanger (Dr. Mist betraying the team), Constantine, Zatanna, Black Orchid and Deadman go after the Books of Magic, so they don't fall into Faust's hands. But it turns out Faust is being manipulated by someone else (I have a theory that it's evil Andrew Bennett), who has an even more evil plan for the books. This issue feels alot like the setup to an Indiana Jones movie, and that isn't bad. I just wish that a little bit more happened in it.
 
Meanwhile, Mikel Janin is doing a GREAT job with the art of the book. He's made Faust look nasty, Faust's mysterious boss look menacing, and everyone else, awesome. He really lets loose on a two page spread towards the end which I want mounted on my wall. So, even if you don't like Jeff Lemire (and if you actually don't like him, shame on you), pick up this book for the art.
 
So overall, for JLDark, this is kind of a down week in terms of story.
 
STORY: 3.5/5
ART: 4/5
VERDICT: 3.5/5
I, VAMPIRE #12
by Joshua Hale Fiakov and Andrea Sorrentino
 
This week, I decided to give I, Vampire a try, due to the endless amount of 5 star reviews it's been getting. I heard this issue was supposed to be a good jumping on point, and it sure is. The only exposure I've had to I, Vampire was in Justice League Dark #7 a few months ago. And boy, is this a good book. The writing in this is PITCH. PERFECT. Not only is the plot actually good (with a huge status quo change in the end), the characterization is spot on. He perfectly captures each character's voice perfectly, and judging by some of the dialogue, I think Fiakov really hates Twilight.
 
If only I can say the same for art. The art is hard to review, because of in some panels it's breathtaking, and in others, it's just muddled. Sorrentino looks awesome whenever he's only drawing one subject, but when he does big action sequences, it cluttered. Yes, the opening splash is the exception to this rule, but the only exception.
 
So, pick up I, Vampire for the story this month. If this is the same quality the first 11 issues were, I'm picking up the trade, no questions asked.
 
STORY: 5/5
ART: 3/5
VERDICT: 4/5
SUPERCROOKS #4
by Mark Millar and Lenil Yu
 
Mark Millar and Lenil Yu have pulled out ALL the stops for Supercrooks #4. I mean, ALL. First, I want to talk about Millar. There are two kinds of Mark Millar stories. There are: A, endlessly brutal and violent stories that are shocking just for the sake of being shocking (NEMESIS, WANTED), and B, stories where he takes a tried and true concept, and gives it a lot of heart (SUPERIOR, SUPERMAN: RED SON). Luckily, Supercrooks is a B level Millar book. This is his commentary on the entire craziness of being superheroes, and pokes fun at it. With a knife. The characterization is spot on, and there are so many laugh out loud moments to go with the violent moments, and some with a bit of both (the Gladiator!).
 
Best of all, Lenil Yu's art is perfect for the book. It's sketchy yet solid, and violent yet graceful.

Supercrooks has gone out with a bang. I'll say that. But pick it up yourself.
 
STORY: 5/5
ART: 5/5
VERDICT: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment