Thursday, December 26, 2013

Forever Evil #4 review

FOREVER EVIL #4
by Geoff Johns and David Finch

Jesus Christ, I hate that cover so much...

So, Forever Evil has been shaping up to be quite the event so far, but I have some major problems with it. We're already halfway through the event, and yet the fight back against the Crime Syndicate hasn't even begun yet. The pacing is awfully slow, and if you're expecting things to happen in this issue, yes there are a few developments, but it's still mostly set up. However, Johns does manage to some good things, such as his writing of Luthor, which I thought was surprisingly well done. I've noticed a running trend in Johns's work has been villains redeeming themselves, and it seems like he's building an entire event around it. Another thing I admire, is Johns's work on Batman, a character who he works well with, but has never done much solo work with him behind the very underrated Batman: Earth-One (which I will review sometime, I promise). There are also a few plot holes that I'm noticing, such as Ultraman not noticing Superwoman's pregnancy until now, or why Grid can't access the computers in the Red Room. While yes, Johns is shaping this to be a cut above these Marvel events that seem to be coming out a week apart from each other (Seriously, they release Infinity #6, and two weeks later, Inhumanity #1? What the hell?!), there are definitely some undeniable flaws.

Trust me, the art is so much better than that cover makes it look. Finch has always been an on-and-off artist for me. Some of his work I absolutely despise (New Avengers, Batman: The Dark Knight Vol. 1, Ultimate X-Men), and some that I think looks absolutely amazing (Batman: The Dark Knight Vol. 2, JLA) . I'd say Forever Evil is definitely leaning towards the latter, as his art has greatly improved from the inconsistent issue 3. His characters look surprisingly more differentiated, and his Sinestro looks BADASS. 

Forever Evil #4 continues Johns conquest of the DCU, with another slow, but steady issue. The art is greater than it has been before, and the story continues to heat up despite some pacing issues and continuity problems. 

STORY: 3.5/5
+ Great characterization of Luthor and Batman
+ Shaping up to be one hell of a payoff
- LET'S DO SOME STUFF ALREADY
- Gaping plot holes

ART: 4/5
+ Characters actually look different now!
+ Definitely very moody
- Still some weird poses
- Dat cover

VERDICT: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment