Monday, November 11, 2013

Green Arrow #25 review

GREEN ARROW #25
By Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino

Ladies and gentlemen... The beard is back.

Green Arrow #25 does exactly what I wanted a Zero Year tie-in to do. It doesn't exactly push the story forward, but what it does do is help tie the main character of a book to the story the event is telling without being sappy. What I love most is how Lemire acknowledges the similarities between Batman and Green Arrow's origin, and shakes both characters' mythos' up. Lemire really lets himself go as he cranks out one of his best scripts that feature his trademark knack for character voices, and even adds some Avengers level humor to the book with one of my favoritte pages... Well, you'll know which one it is when you see it. The only complaint I have is that it seems like Lemire's characterization of Ollie's mother feels somewhat off.

But really, the real draw of this book is the art. Sorrentino is THE best artist at DC right now. This guy kicks ass. He uses a realistic style, but somehow still manages to make it look perfect for this. And ever since I, Vampire, I've been praying that we'd be able to seem him draw Batman again... And I wasn't disappointed to say the least. 

The backup story was drawn by Denys Cowans, and I was certainly impressed by the very Bill Sizenewick feel of the art (considering that Sizenewick friggin inked it). It doesn't really do much but set up more of why Ollie and Diggle went their separate ways, but it does it's job.

Green Arrow #25 is the kick-ass tie-in to Zero Year I wanted. I didn't think that a flashback issue could hold any surprises, but it did, tons of them too. Buy this issue, you won't be disappointed.

STORY: 4.5/5
+ Badass Ollie moments everywhere!
+ Now I'd like to see Lemire write a Batman book...
+ Doesn't take it self too seriously, but not campy
+ Nice shout outs to the future of the DCU

ART: 5/5
+ Nails the vibe of Zero Year
+ Consistent
+ Sorrentino draws a badass Batman

BACKUP: 4/5
+ Bill Sizenwick
+ Does its job well
- Art feels redundant coming up on the heels of Sorrentino

VERDICT: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment